FAQ: Accessing my medical record

How do I get a copy of, or transfer, my MIT Health medical record?

It depends what part of your medical record you need to access: 

How can I get a copy of my MIT Health medical record?

To get a copy of your medical record, you must complete and sign the Authorization for Disclosure of Patient Health Care and Information form and fax or email it to MediCopy Services as instructed on the form. Copies of your record will be sent from Medicopy Services within two to three business days. 

Note: You do not need to get a printed copy of your entire medical record if you: 

  • Need to be excused from a class for an exam because of illness. In that case, contact Student Support Services: s3-support@mit.edu.

  • Want your parents to be involved in your care decisions? If you want your parents involved in your healthcare decision, you can just give your provider permission to discuss a specific episode of care with them.

  • Are traveling overseas and need a copy of your immunization record. In that case, just check the box for “Immunization Records” on the form. 

What should I do if I find something in my medical record that I think needs to be corrected?

If you feel that specific medical information in your record is incorrect:

  • Download and complete the Request for Amendment of Protected Health Information form. 
  • Specify the information you want corrected and sign the form. 
  • Fax it to 617-258-0884, or mail it to MIT Health Medical Records, E23-023, 77 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, MA 02139. 
  • The Medical Records team will notify you when a decision is made about amending your record. 

How do I update my emergency contact information?

The first time you register using our online system, we will ask for your emergency contact information. Once you complete the form, you do not need to fill it out again. 

After that, you can update who we will contact in case of an emergency in two different ways:

  • Use HealthELife. You can change your emergency contact information under personal contacts within the patient information section.
  • Ask a patient service representative. Any front-desk patient service representative can update the information on your behalf. 


How can I have my medical record from another provider sent to MIT Health?

Contact the clinician or facility where you received care for instructions. 

How can I get a copy of my MIT Health dental record?